Are you locked out while not having keys to unlock the door, and now you are trying to break the lock with the help of a bobby pin? If yes, then be aware that a bobby pin could be a constructive way to unbolt the door if used with appropriate knowledge; otherwise, this experience might be very frustrating. In addition, it can create personal anxiety, creating a sense of helplessness and panic.
Getting a locksmith for the job can be very expensive, So comprehending the easiest one, knowing how to open a door lock with a bobby pin, will be your rescue for the day! Keep the first things first; don’t lose hope if you get locked outside a room.
9 Simples Steps on How To Pick a Door with a Bobby Pin
1. To open up the door with a bobby pin, bend the pin at a 90-degree angle and spread out the wavy and straight ends apart from each other to create a shape like L.
2. Remove the rubber tip side of the bobby pin and prefer using a knife or razor blade to remove the rounded tip of the rubber on the straight side of the bobby pin. Moreover, you can use your teeth or fingernails to stick into the lock as it will create the pick.
3. Stick the pin’s flat end into the top of the lock and try to bend it. Stick the pin in about 1 centimeter, and then fold the rest of the bobby pin until it flushes against the face of the doorknob. This will bend the tip at another angle. You can use the bent end of the pin to free the lock’s pins.
4. Bend the wavy-sided end of the pin into a handle for more power control. Bend the wavy end of the pick at an acute angle to create the handle. This will ensure that picking the lock becomes more accessible and more comfortable. Moreover, the end result will depict something as a half-circle.
5. Exert some pressure to stick the tension lever into the bottom. The bent end of the tension lever and stick it into the bottom hole in your door lock.
6. Try pushing the lever anti-clockwise to gain control. Maintaining force on the lever will rotate the round barrel in the lock, helping you pick up all pins. Keep pressing the lever until you feel the tension in the lock on picking it. Hence, the pins will drop back.
7. While picking into the lock, try to feel for the position of pins and slightly bent end of the pick right inside the lock to make the tip face upwards. Now, add some pressure on the pick’s handle to push the pins up until you hear a “click” sound.
8. Some pins will slide up with ease, but some require resistance. Locate a hard pin to push up, then push it down again and hear the sound of the pin setting on the barrel.
9. Now lift all the other pins, too, and shift to the top of the barrel. Moreover, turn the tension lever counterclockwise to open the door. Grab the end of the tension lever just like a key until the door is unlocked
If you wonder how to unlock a car door with a bobby pin, then remember the whole process will stay the same, and the car door will open in seconds.
How to Pick a Camper Lock With a Bobby Pin
1. The circular rubber knobs on both ends of the bobby pin must be removed. If you don’t have any other equipment, you can make it using just one fingernail, pliers, or wire cutters.
2. Once the spherical rubber knob end has been removed, we may start bending the bobby pin. Separate the first bobby pin into a single elongated, flat, and long metal piece.
3. Furthermore, it must be straightened to be aligned as the metal component will be your pick that will be used to clear a route between the pins by sliding it into the lock.
4. Bend the top of your pin into a pick using the lock as a guide. Then, with the flat side facing up, insert the straight edge into the keyhole of your lock. It simply needs to be curled slightly, perhaps a third of an inch.
5. Apply enough pressure to shift the rest of the pin to the left and bend the edge of the pin into a hook.
6. One end of the pick can be used to make a holder. Make a little spiral or loop with the tip of one of your picks by cross-bending it halfway into it. This will make gripping the pick and applying pressure much more accessible.
Safety Tips to Keep in Mind, Before You Try:
- Make sure the bobby pin is secure and not fragile.
- Check the lock if it functions clockwise or anti-clockwise.
- Do not put too much pressure as the pin might break inside the keyhole.
- If using your nails or teeth, be gentle as you might hurt yourself.
- Check for any outer covering on the lock knob or the pin.
- The size of the bobby pin sometimes depends on the size of the lock.
Alternatives of Bobby Pins:
If you don’t have bobby pins, you can also use two paper clips as alternatives. Those made of metal are most preferred and follow the exact instructions.
Another great alternative to bobby pins is to use metal wire. However, the thickness can give the pins a push and won’t get stuck inside the lock. Just be careful in handling them as they can cause cuts.
How to Make a Tension Wrench?
To build a bobby pin tension wrench, insert the closed end of the bobby pin approximately an inch in the keyhole and firmly apply downward pressure until the pin bends 90 degrees.