Brought the pine-sol and cleansed your entire area for it, leaving it sparkly and fragranced. Until you question yourself, “what if this is toxic?” and all kinds of negatives flood your head.
Let us answer that question for you- pine-sol does contain some potentially hazardous material. However, using it in the right amount and not treating it as a consumable can help in reducing its toxicity.
Some studies were done on the cleaner to elucidate the presence of some carcinogenic substances that go into the recipe for making your favorite cleaner.
These dangerous chemicals have horrendous effects like pregnancy failures and serious kidney damage. However, only a single ingredient is more destructive than it seems-toluene.
Toluene found in the pine-sol has grave consequences on the nervous system and is said to be cancerous, apart from proving to be a major barrier in the development of the fetus during pregnancy.
Toxicity for babies
It is strongly recommended to keep babies and infants away from the product since inhalation of these chemicals or consumption can be extremely harmful to them. They can get skin allergies or lung infections and breathing issues when exposed to the product in any way.
Is pine-sol toxic to our furry homies?
Yes, cats and dogs, or even birds should not come near the product, let alone consume it.
The sharp odour can cause severe reactions to the bird’s respiratory system due to its fragility. It is suggested that the birds stay out for about 48 hours after the product has been used to avoid any mishaps.
As for dogs and cats, inhaling the product won’t be much of a problem as ingesting the solution would. The pets could end up having diarrhoea, irritating skin, or even resort to lethargy.
What if you ingest pine-sol?
That is a horrific idea and can be life-threatening. And needless to say, it will have severe implications on your body, whose degree is defined by the amount of solution you consume. Lower concentrations may make you nauseated and dizzy, you might even throw up.
Larger concentrations, however, can take a major toll on your organ systems and lead to their failures, collapse, and seizures. Though seldom, chances of going into a coma also persist.
Breathing in pine-sol
Breathing pine sol air would not intoxicate you in any way. Although you may experience some irritation in your airway, because of the added odours to make the area smell good, this won’t be too serious. However, overuse can make you feel giddy and possibly knock you out.
Is Pine-sol Hazardous for the skin?
No, Pine-sol is not particularly hazardous for the skin and does not have drastic effects on contact. However, for those who have sensitive epidermis, it may have the potential to trigger redness, rashes, and irritation due to the chemicals with which the product is made of.
The pine-sol is highly unsafe for plants since its components damage the structure of various plant parts and hence cause critical harm to them.
The pine oil found in the first pine-sol products is not very healthy for the plants as well since it blocks the absorption of nutrients.
Moreover, the imbalance in pH caused by the pine-sol leads to dwarfism and incomplete growth, and often the death of the flora.
How to prevent intoxication?
The area cleaned with the solution should either be left to dry or wiped off with some water to ensure that babies do not consume the solution accidentally while crawling around.
Make sure you use the product in an airy setting so that the smell does not persist in the air for more time than usual. Poorly ventilated rooms must not be cleaned using the pine-sol.
It should also be kept in mind that the pets should not be made to get their paws into the solution and if they do, are bathed immediately to get rid of the solution and prevent consumption.
Hand gloves should be put to use to avoid any contact with the skin. Additionally, hands must be washed after the cleaning process is completed. If you experience any kind of reaction due to the solution, consulting a doctor is advised.
Pine-sol should not be dumped anywhere near our green friends to ensure their well-being and good health.
Even though there is no denying the fact that Pine-sol does contain some crucially damaging material, its concentration in the whole product is not yet quoted, and thus there are no probable dangers to look forward to.
In other words, using Pine-Sol may not be a bad idea after all, since it is safe to use as of now. This does not rule out the need to use the product in limited amounts and not leave it unattended near infants and animals.
Urgent actions should be taken and medical help taken if the product is inhaled in more amounts than normal or consumed. Careful and checked utilization of pine-sol will surely make you less vulnerable to its bizarre health implications and keep you and your family safe.
The above-mentioned points would be of great assistance to the user to prevent the pine-sol from causing catastrophic harm.
Can pine-sol be used for dishwashing?
Although pine-sol is highly volatile, that is, it quickly turns into vapour, which may not leave any residue of pine-sol in the utensil, it is not advised to use it as a dish soap since it is made of some chemicals that may not complement the human body.
Can Pine-sol be regarded as a disinfectant?
The original pine-sol is a perfect disinfectant that gets rid of germs and other undesirable microbes within 10 minutes of its deposition on a surface. However, the renewed and scented versions of pine-sol are meant to clean, but not disinfect.
What ingredients go into the making of pine-sol?
Glycol ether, alcohol ethoxylates(C10-12), Sodium carbonate, sodium lauryl sulfates, and hydroxyethylcellulose are the main chemicals that brew your cleaning partner pine-sol.
What alternatives can be used in place of pine-sol?
Vinegar and borax are great alternatives to pine-sol. Tea-tree oil and baking soda will serve almost the same as pine-so to for making your household look squeaky clean.